Re: Re: Options in Canada?
From: Diane Law (dianemlawyahoo.ca)
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 17:18:47 -0800 (PST)
Thanks Diane.

  We're not keen on building in Kamloops. As you'll note on Google, it's  very
spread out and spreading further. This makes it very car oriented  and
disporportionately dangerous to pedestrians. It's not a city we  want to stay
in nor raise kids in, and the City itself is very  unsupportive of things as
progressive as co-housing. (I worked on one  project for four years and we were
unable to get anything --even unused  farmland well outside of town-- rezoned.
A lot of the land, too,  including the Exhibition Grounds, is Indian Reserve
and unavailable to  buyers. The vast amount of parkland is being rezoned, chunk
by chunk,  to commercial and single family residential. Sigh. And here, the
highway marks the start of the higher prices.)

  However, your step-by-step guide will be extremely helpful when we find a
town we'd like to locate  near, so thank you!

  Diane

    Hi Diane,
I checked out Kamloops BC on Google Local, and I see you have two golf
courses, an exhibition grounds, at least four parks, a university, a
hospital, an airport, and several sets of train tracks. (You've got the
Trans-Canada Highway going through one of the parks, which is very
unfortunate but perhaps you can put that to marketing purposes sometime
"down the road" so to speak). The Kenna Cartwright park looks
particularly lovely--very large!

The first thing you need to do is go down to the city or town hall and
get a land use or "zoning" map. I don't know if you have zoning in
Kamloops. This tells you what you can build and where. It's important
to find this out before you start making any grand plans. Get the map
and then go out driving around looking at land and mark down on the map
the places that interest you.

Then you to the Registry of Deeds and find out how much houses sold for
in various parts of town. This will give you an idea of where you can
afford to build. I would strongly advise you to steer clear of the
airport and the Trans-Canada highway even though land prices may be
cheaper there. Your houses are not going to sell to the cohousing
market if built in such an undesirable location.

Talk to city or town officials and find out if they have an inducements
to develop in a specific part of town. You may be able to either get
cheaper land or a "density bonus" for developing in an area that the
city is trying to direct growth toward. If you get a density bonus you
can build more houses on the same size land parcel.

Visit University officials. Find someone in architecture or urban
planning who will let you give a presentation on campus about
cohousing. Most of your prospects will probably come from the
university although a few will come from the hospital. If there are any
synagogues, health food stores, unitarian churches, schools, or health
clinics put up posters about your presentation. Is there a university
radio station? Get your talk listed on that as well. Later on you may
need to run some announcements on public radio to find more prospects.

Put up a web site or find someone who can put up a page for you. The
internet is how most cohousers find each other nowadays.

Join CohousingUS--even though it has "US" in its name it is still a
valuable resource for Canadians. Example: the upcoming cohousing
project management workshop  Feb 4-5 2006, in Berkeley California.
"There will be panel style and will address the unique challenges,
issues and best practices of cohousing development. Professionals with
varying styles and approaches will be presenting. Time will also be
available for individual consultation." Check it out! You will learn
priceless information that will save you years of aggravation and
learning from the school of hard knocks.

Real estate development is very hard work. It's not for the faint of
heart! But the rewards of living in cohousing are well worth it. Get
going and good luck! Write often and let us know how you're doing.
Take care,
--Diane(:^]

MARKETING FACILITATOR
JP COHOUSING  617-522-2209