Re: Landscape Design/Pedestrian Paths
From: Deborah Mensch (deborahmenschgmail.com)
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 10:40:36 -0800 (PST)
I doubt they're quite as easy as smooth pavement, but yes, they are
accessible. At the time they were installed, we had a resident who used a
wheelchair or electric cart, so I think that figured into the choice.

We are having some settling of our stones along the edges of part of the
path, which is creating gaps, and I suspect those gaps might cause problems
for wheelchairs if they get big enough, but we need to fix them anyway as
they will cause a trip hazard.

Our pavestones are fairly flat, just beveled a bit around the edges. They
are about 5 or 6 inches across. The edges of the paths have some concrete
alongside them to keep the stones from wandering or tilting (though as I
said, it isn't completely working). I wasn't here when the path was
installed, so I can't give much more detail than that, but if someone needs
it, I can inquire of our other residents who were here at that time.

Deborah
Pleasant Hill Cohousing