Re: Water Usage Data for Cohousing
From: Jim Snyder-Grant (jimsgnewview.org)
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 08:44:56 -0800 (PST)
New View (Acton MA) was initially permitted based on standard condo
water usage assumptions. We were barely allowed the number of bedrooms
we were looking for.

5 years later, we went to the board of health to seek permissin for
extra bedrooms. They looked at water usage records from the Acton
Water District and told us we could have a large number of extra
bedrooms, more than we could possibly need, because our water use was
so much smaller than their standard assumptions.

To get the actual numbers, I'd contact the Acton Water District. I'll
bet you'll need our permission. If you decide to go ahead, I'm happy
to get a note written from our board of trustees to the Acton Water
District.

Most of our water savings came from our organic lawn care plan - LOTS
of watering the first few years, helping to get the roots healthy &
deep, and, in the last few years NO lawn watering. The lawn is healthy
enough to just brown out if there is a hot dry period & the summer &
come back when the conditions are OK.  Most of Acton's variability in
water usage is because of lawn watering, and Acton has imposed some
watering restrictions to keep this down.

I'm sure we also use somewhat less water bcause of being
water-conscious customers - low-flow toilets, low-flow showerheads,
etc., but the lawn plan is by far the biggest factor.

-Jim