Re: pedestrian paths - gravels
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 07:58:32 -0800 (PST)
Lynn at RoseWind Cohousing here (back from the Middle East).
Port Townsend Washington, annual rain about 18 inches, snow rarely. We prefer "crushed rock" to "pea gravel". Pea gravel has pieces which are rounded, and therefore smoosh underfoot: it can feel like walking on sand or such, like extra work to walk on. Crushed rock can be had in the same sizes, but is angular, and so it packs together into something that moves a lot less under foot. (if you WANT movement, like in a fall zone under a swing set, pea gravel is the thing). Typical unpaved paths around here have a base of gravel, topped with "quarry fines- quarter inch minus" a sort of coarse black sand that packs really well. Sometimes under the gravel there is weed barrier, landscape cloth, sometimes not. Sometimes, depending on slope and terrain and traffic, there is edging of some sort, like wood, though this will eventually weather. Our pedestrian paths at RoseWind are quarry fines, no edging. Key to not getting floors ground up by grit is what's outside your doors. A stretch of brick or concrete helps, as does generous matting inside and or outside your exterior doors.