Re: Landscape Design/Pedestrian Paths
From: Racheli Gai (rachelisonoracohousing.com)
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 15:47:07 -0800 (PST)
Our sidewalks are made of concrete. Kids have a great time zooming on them with their tricycles, bikes, and so forth. So, while I get a pang thinking of the high environmental cost of this material, I have to say that the paths are doing a good
job accommodating various uses and needs.
I wouldn't dream of having our paths made of asphalt, and luckily no one ever suggested it. It's true that it has its uses (along the lines Michael mentions), but it's also toxic; needs regular repairs, and is exceedingly ugly to boot... Come to think of it, here in the Southwest asphalt heats like crazy in the summer, which would put a dent in the style of some of our perennial barefooted creatures (both bipedal and other).

R.