HELP Plan the National Cohousing Conference
From: Joani Blank (joaniswansway.com)
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 08:43:06 -0800 (PST)
HELP PLAN THE NATIONAL CONFERENCE, July 21-23, Chapel Hill, NC

One of the most important factors in making a conference a great experience for those attending is the quality of the planning that precedes it. We're off to a good start in securing facilities for our conference on the campus at University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. We will have air-conditioned dorm accommodations, high quality food service and meeting rooms in the new Graham Student Union Annex, all at a very reasonable cost.

Although a few of the tasks at the conference will be handled by paid folks, we are currently seeking four or five key volunteers to coordinate certain aspects of the conference planning. Your compensation for this work will be the undying appreciation of the Cohousing Association and conference attendees alike, and a discount on your conference registration fee.

Here are a few of the planning opportunities that are available immediately:

· Exhibits Coordinator: Helps finalize Conference Exhibits policy and pricing. Contacts and recruits potential exhibitors. Keeps track of those interested, making follow-up contact as required. Plans layout of exhibit space. Is present at set-up time on Thursday evening and again on Friday afternoon to welcome exhibitors and assists them in setting up.

· Sponsorship Coordinator: Helps finalize Conference Sponsorship Policy. Contacts and follows up on potential sponsors and gives whatever assistance they need in determining the level and type of sponsorship that is appropriate for them.

· Registrar: Collects data on registrants as they come in via the internet (no need to handle financial transactions prior to the conference). Supervises duplication of program materials and preparation of registration folders. Sets up and manages registration on site. Trains and supervises volunteers. Prepares and supervises placement of signage in conference facility.

· Promotion Associates: A promotion plan is now in preparation. We will likely have a paid Promotion Coordinator who will need the able assistance of two or three volunteer associates.

At the conference, we will also need:

·       An Audio Visual Coordinator
· A Volunteer Coordinator (to schedule and supervise volunteers who will be helping with registration, exhibits, child care, the Coho/US bookstore, the fund-raising auction, etc.) · Tour Logistics Coordinator (for the four-community Cohousing Tour that will take place on Friday afternoon) · A Media Contact Person (to prepare press materials and host media people attending the conference)

Please send your enthusiastic response to volunteer [at] cohousing.org or phone iif you have questions.

Joani Blank
Oakland, California
2006 National Cohousing Conference Coordinator
510-834-7399

Joani Blank
510-834-7399
Cell: 510-387-1315