Re: Alcohol [was Question]
From: dahako (dahakoaol.com)
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 17:42:35 -0800 (PST)

Hi -

We don't have community purchases of alcohol, but the group of regular attendees of the Friday night Happy Hour is trying various wines with the idea of picking a house wine and getting case discounts. Also, wine and beer are frequently donated for community meals. Spirits show up less often. I provided very well received chocolate martinis for one Happy Hour. We provide non-alcoholic beverages as well, for kids and others who want to socialize but not partake of alcohol.

We don't keep any alcohol in common spaces because parents have indicated that some of our tweens and teens may not need their impulse control tested quite that much.

Other than keeping unsupervised alcohol out of common spaces, we haven't had any discussion around alcohol and it has not been raised to the community as an issue, so far as I know.

In Eno Commons, where we used to live, I frequently found the famous cohousing quote about it taking "two hours and two beers to get home from the parking lot on Friday night" to be very true. And most big parties included beer and wine, or single malt whiskey, or really amazing margaritas. And sometimes cigars, too.

-Jessie Handforth Kome
Eastern Village Cohousing
Silver Spring, Maryland
"Where the second day of our annual retreat involved a lot of ice cream and almost all of our teams have their priorities set. And we topped off the day with Burmese food. Yum."