Re: Re: Establishing unit pricing
From: Dahako (Dahakoaol.com)
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 15:50:33 -0800 (PST)
Hi all -

In reference to this snippet of Katie Henry's post about unit pricing:

"A lot of our members got totally married to their price per square foot.
Unfortunately, measurements taken during and after construction revealed that
most units turned out bigger or smaller than stated in the contract, ranging
from a few sq. ft. to about 80 sq. ft., as I recall. (Not counting Jessie's
unit, heh heh.)"

Katie's laughter is because my unit during construction was the
"unit-from-hell" that, because of a major mismeasuring error, had to be
redesigned from
scratch AFTER we had signed our sales contract with the  developer.  Not to
mention flooding, additional measuring errors resulting  in large per square
foot
figures just before closing, problems with the concrete  floor patches
heaving out three times, and mice.  Despite all that, the  unit is good-enough
and
ridiculously comfortable to live in.  Guess the  karma is balancing itself
out...

Another reason not to focus on per square foot figures early on is because
unit prices may have to change abruptly when reality intrudes in the form of
actual construction bids.

Jessie Handforth Kome
Eastern Village Cohousing
Silver Spring, Maryland