Arboretum Cohousing is officially launched
From: Dirk Herr-Hoyman (hoymanddanenet.org)
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 18:24:31 -0800 (PST)
Arboretum Cohousing, in Madison WI, is officially public
with our signing of an offer to purchase land and existing
housing from St. Marys, a local hospital, on January 5.
See our web site at http://www.arboretumcohousing.org for
details, such as they are.  The group has been working over
2 years on this offer and is happy to now be able to talk
publically about this exciting cohousing project.

This will be an urban and part retrofit Cohousing project.
We are currently projecting 40 units, of which 10 will come from
existing houses.  The land is very centrally located in Madison,
close to the UW Arboretum, a city park, and just a few blocks
away from the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

The architectural design for this project will be done by Design Coalition (www.designcoalition.com). They have a long track record of doing
community and green architecture, having been the architect for Village
Cohousing (just up the street), which was completed in 1999. We are thrilled to have their fine design services.

We hope to occupy the existing units in the Fall and have the new
units ready by Summer 2007.  An ambitious, yet doable schedule.

At least 6 of the units will be "affordable" by the city of Madison's
definition. This is the minimum expectation of the city, and with some help from local agencies and financial institutions, we help to get this number higher yet!

Thanks to the cohousing-l community for their ongoing discussion of
cohousing issues. This has definitely helped in our planning. Now that we can be a bit more public, you can expect to hear from some of the Arbco members on the list.

--
Dirk Herr-Hoyman
Member of Arboretum Cohousing