Re: which groups are co-ops?
From: Odysseus Levy (odysseuscosmosgame.org)
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 09:43:37 -0800 (PST)
Hi Lynn,

You might already know this, but your neighbor to the south, Winslow Cohousing, is a co-op. My understanding is that it is one of very few cohousing communities that are organized as a co-op.

There were really good reasons for forming as a coop at the time of development, but there also have been some drawbacks. The biggest one is that we are really, really limited in getting good bank loans. I was actually starting a task force to investigate whether it would make sense to switch to a condo association when we finally found a bank (National Coop Bank) that was willing to give us market price loans.

But if they have already determined to go as a coop (it would be interesting to hear why), one of our members, Marci Burkel, could probably give them a lot of good advice. Email me directly and I will put you in contact with her.

By the way, the next NICA (Northwest Intentional Communites Association) gathering is going to be at RoseWind, so hopefully I will get a chance to meet you.

Odysseus
Winslow Cohousing
Bainbridge Island, WA

Lynn Nadeau wrote:

I know most cohousing groups are not legally formatted as co-ops. Here at RoseWind we're a nonprofit with a homeowners' association, others are condos, etc. And I'm now working with a group here in Washington State, to help develop their legal documents, and they are organized as a co-op. Please chime in here to identify your cohousing, ecovillage, or other intentional-community group, if you are a co-op (far enough along to have legal documents - bylaws and the equivalent of CC&Rs etc). This may be useful info for future list searchers. I'll then get in touch with you off list, to discuss your willingness to share documents or advice. I need to learn anything that makes co-op documents different from the ones I've already worked with.
Thanks,
Lynn Nadeau
RoseWind Cohousing, Port Townsend WA