Establishing unit pricing
From: Leila Snow (leilasori.org)
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 20:07:58 -0800 (PST)
Eugene Downtown Cohousing is ready to price our units.  We would like to
price differentially based on whether the apartment faces a busy street
vs. a quiet alley, is on a corner with more windows or sandwiched, etc.
We'd like feedback about how other groups have used differential
pricing, and how well it worked.  Reading the archives surfaced the
following:

        Ask a local residential appraiser to recommend pricing
differentials
        Poll members to determine favored amenities/locations, and price
accordingly

        Pricing based on square footage plus number of kitchens and
bathrooms, views or siting
        Larger units are cheaper to build per square foot, so price per
square foot is not appropriate

        Differential pricing awards more desirable sites to those with
more money, perpetuating inequity - all should be equal
        All should not be equal - worked fine to have differential
pricing, no less community value of members who have fewer economic
resources
        Differential pricing used to make some units more affordable -
worked well

        Choose unit in order of seniority - rewards those who came in
early
        People who bought early were assessed less than those who bought
later, because they assumed more of the risk

Does anyone have any further thoughts or experience with differential
pricing?  Thanks much for your help!

Leila Snow
Finance Committee
Eugene Downtown Cohousing