Re: Carports
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 14:44:35 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 10, 2006, at 4:57 PM, Hyghroad [at] aol.com wrote:

Here at Common Pastures (just south of Burlington, VT) we are excited to be on the home stretch of completing our first phase of construction. Our current
site plan includes a single carport for each home.

At this point some of our owners have opted not to have a carport. My
question - have other communities had experience with the community/HOA retaining ownership of these unclaimed carports and leasing them to households that may want more than one. We are hoping to do this so that if properties without carports are sold, we have the option of offering a carport to the new owners.

At Takoma Village we have one parking space per unit and if the unit does not use it, the unit owner rents it to other members who have two cars. One space is allocated to each unit but it is not owned by the unit -- it is maintained by the community.

Are the carports in commonspace? If not can one be constructed later if an owner wants one later? If they are in commonspace why do individual unit owners make the decision about whether they are built or not? Aren't you in snow country?

In DC it would financial suicide not to have a parking space for each unit. A very hard resale task.

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC