Re: design team
From: patjavcc (patjavccaol.com)
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 05:40:39 -0800 (PST)
At Jamaica Plain Cohousing, (Boston MA) we had a design committee that worked
with the architects on a regular basis.

But before that, the community met for three intense design workshop weekends
where we programmed the Site, the Commonhouse and the Units.  (Mary and Laura
from Kraus-Fitch architects led us through the programming phase and they are
very skilled at this.)  Once our program was settled, the design committee
would report to the general meeting (2x per month) about all aspects of the
design process.  Two or three members of this committee also would meet with
the architects in their offices for a standing meeting - I believe this was
bi-weekly for 2 hours.

My advice to groups that are in this stage of development is to remember that
eventually it won't be possible to be part of every decision.  Decide what is
really important to you personally and join that committee.  If you are not on
the design committee, then don't expect to be informed about every small
decision (there will be millions) throughout the designing phase.  I learned to
trust.  As a founding member of this group, where in the beginning I was in the
center of 'everything', learning to trust was a very big lesson.  I never
joined the design committee.  But our place is beautiful and they did a
fantastic job.

Patti Lautner
Jamaica Plain Cohousing, Boston MA