Re: Re: design team
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 12:01:35 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 11, 2006, at 2:49 PM, Sharon Villines wrote:

Have people on your design team who always wanted to be engineers and you will be grateful to them forever.

I should have said "engineers and librarians" because all the info has to be saved and recorded in a format that everyone can access.

Questions will follow for years about how to match the counter tops or cabinets. Who made the floors in the dining room? Who made the fixtures in the kids room? What's inside my walls?

We actually video taped our walls before they were closed up but where are the tapes? It's a hunting job whenever we need one of them. We have all the brochures and catalogs from all the suppliers, all the appliance info, etc. in a library one of our members organized. But most of us need the librarian to find the information. It has been very helpful in re-sales also.

Of course in normal construction you have none of this, but in cohousing where you are managing your own building complex without a real facilities manager, it is priceless.

(Don't get me started on management companies. Our "manager" handles 18 properties, some much larger than our 43 units and I doubt if any are smaller. On onsite manager, even part-time is a better idea in most areas.)

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC