Re: alcohol (was Question)
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 11:59:39 -0800 (PST)

At ... we have a number of members and friends who either abstain from
drinking alcohol on principle or are recovering alcoholics.  We try to be
sensitive to their feelings about this and do not include alcohol in community meals or community events unless publicized well in advance. We haven't had any overt discussion of this topic, so I am glad to see so many responses to this question from other communities.

My suggestion would be: discuss it! At a minimum, it would clarify if there really is an issue present. If there is, here are some ideas for getting from problem to solution: 1) A sharing circle (no cross talk, safe space to share thoughts and feelings). Topic - People have diverse feelings and needs around the consumption of alcohol at community gatherings. What are yours? 2) Having then heard concerns, which might range from "I can't be there if there is drinking" to "I would feel upset if we ruled out drinking", a task force (or individual) could draft a policy (maybe "no alcohol at meetings, alcohol regularly at TGIF gatherings, advance notice of alcohol-OK events", or "at gatherings with alcohol, provision of reserved table(s) for non-drinkers", or whatever seems it might meet a variety of needs. 3) If appropriate, a discussion circle on the proposed policy, to further fine tune it before bringing it to a business meeting for decision.
Lynn Nadeau
RoseWind Cohousing, Port Townsend WA