Beyond HOA
From: Fleck (foam4uworldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 15:00:33 -0800 (PST)
Similar topic to dues...

We're an urban townhouse-style coho. We've never had a requirement (IE in
the bylaws) that any member put in X number of hours to maintain our
facilities or grounds. Unfortunately, there are a few people who've never
(or minimally) participated even though they've mentioned that at some
future date they might. This has started to impact the participating folks
as our buildings age and require more money and work. Being cheerfully
abused has lost its allure.

I understand that some groups "charge" those who can't/don't/won't put in
work hours so someone can be hired to do essential jobs. Things, like
landscaping, seem to require more expertise and interest than our folks have
but directly affect our safety and property values. I'm interested in how
other cohos manage this in their bylaws and how they handle the "income"
financially - especially tax wise. And finally, what is your experience
getting renters to "pay or work"?

Thanks for any info,
Anne at Jackson Place Cohousing - Seattle