Re: very small/ compact housing
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 07:03:03 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 17, 2006, at 3:13 PM, Lynn Nadeau wrote:

What is the smallest 2-3-4 BR housing in your experience that can "work"? "Work" meaning people don't then feel the need to build storage buildings, garages, or move away for lack of space. Do you live in a house that's particularly compact?

At Takoma Village in DC, we have single parents with one and two children living in approximately 700 square ft units -- one bedroom and a den. We also have single people living in three bedroom townhouses with full basements.

The reality of space is cost. As you plan, work with a square footage number that is as close to actual price in two years as possible. Construction costs will go up every year so over-estimate costs and you will be happier. There will always be a place to spend that "extra" money.

If you do this you will find that people will downsize much more easily.

Sharon
---
Sharon Villines
Building Community: A Guide to Creating New Neighborhoods
http://www.buildingcommunitynews.org