background checks
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 08:53:12 -0800 (PST)
I'm (also) part of a forming EcoVillage, and it has been suggested that as part of the application process for membership in the co-operative, a "background check" be required. The thinking seems to be that this could surface criminal history (abuse or molestation?) that would be cause for concern about having said person as a member. I personally wonder whether it would really be useful. Would it create a false sense of security (as a person could always have done such things and not gotten caught)? Is it illegal, anyway, to discriminate against a person who has served their time for whatever offenses? Would it be reassuring to an applicant, or off-putting? Is the expense in money and "vibe" worth it anyway? Are there other communities which require background checks? If so, what is your experience of it? If you considered it and decided not to, why was that? Has anyone had problems that could have been avoided if there had been a background check?
Thanks,
Lynn Nadeau