Re: background checks
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 12:48:58 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 30, 2006, at 2:12 PM, Chris ScottHanson wrote:

If you are concerned about someone, personally, take it upon yourself to get to really know them. Spend time with them, even if you are not otherwise inclined to do so. Trust your instincts about people.

I agree with this but for different reasons. People do want a certain amount of privacy in cohousing and might not want to be grilled but over time, people to reveal themselves. One beauty of the long development time and the importance of participating in decision-making together is that you do get to know people.

Background checks do very little unless you really go all out and check every state in the union and then you don't know about other countries. As well, not all criminals or even murderers are ever caught so what does that say about the one who was?

Proving mortgage worthiness is a valid test because it will determine if a person can actually move in or not.

Requiring work is a valid test because the community will require work even after you are moved in.

Expecting social interaction is a valid test because that will be factor in developing a community.

If a person is a sociopath, you will know it after a few months of bad gut feelings. I can't think of one person who is any different than they were when we moved in so taking action is also important. You are going to have to live with this person. But dealing with it on a personal basis is the best way. Rules or particular standards (How many speeding tickets can a person have had? One murder? Two? 16 arrests with no convictions? One? Arrested for Quaker peace activities only?)

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC