Re: very small/ compact housing
From: Hyghroad (Hyghroadaol.com)
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 05:44:44 -0800 (PST)
My family of four is about to move into our 1200+- sq.ft. townhouse (plus
full unfinished basement) at Common Pastures in Charlotte, VT. One of the last
design changes made was to get rid of a cathedral ceiling living room, to add a
floor and add space on the second floor. I feel this is one of the best
decisions we've made. In a small house, catherdal ceilings seem to be an
unnecessary
luxury, and I can just imagine all of heat that would have been trapped up
there in the winter.

Two other things that, in my opinion, make small houses more livable

1) lots of windows

2) vaulted ceilings on second floor.

Space/storage is always an issue is small homes. For us (we are coming from
an even smaller house) it has been a great incentive to reduce our consumption.

Kelly Devine
Common Pastures
aka Champlain Valley Cohousing
Charlotte, Vermont