ceiling heights (was RE: [C-L]_ very small/ compact housing)
From: Jenny Williams (jlgwcableone.net)
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 07:23:53 -0800 (PST)
On a related note, I'd like people's input on ceiling height.  We're
desgining and building our house at Manzanita Village in Prescott, AZ,
and we have been planning 8' ceilings throughout.  Everyone is telling
me that we'll regret it.  With 8' ceilings, though, we will manage a
~6-7' high attic, which we could finish at a later date for a cozy spot.
We have height restrictions for building, so we can't go above that
limit.  If we even change our regular floors to 9' ceilings, that
changes the attic to 5-6', harder to do anything with.  Do you all feel
it's worth the trade off, to have higher ceilings but an unusable attic
space (for anything other than plain storage)?  Our house will be about
2200SF on two floors (not counting said attic).  On the upper level, we
will have a fairly open area for kitchen, eating area, and living room.
We plan on doing ceiling height changes, with some soffits in certain
areas, to break up the 8' ceiling.  Ideas?

I welcome all input.  Thanks!

jenny williams