Re: ceiling heights (was RE: [C-L]_ very small/ compact housing)
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 08:12:49 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 4, 2006, at 10:31 AM, Jenny Williams wrote:

On a related note, I'd like people's input on ceiling height.  We're
desgining and building our house at Manzanita Village in Prescott, AZ,
and we have been planning 8' ceilings throughout.  Everyone is telling
me that we'll regret it.  With 8' ceilings, though, we will manage a
~6-7' high attic, which we could finish at a later date for a cozy spot. We have height restrictions for building, so we can't go above that [snip] Our house will be about
2200SF on two floors (not counting said attic).

2200 SF is a lot of feet. What do you need the attic for, other than storage? Having less storage means you will accumulate less. More, more, more means more, more, more. A simple life filled with clutter is not so simple.

I personally would go for higher ceilings. 10 ft ceilings would allow you to have loft beds in the kids rooms, for example. Test sound quality in high ceilings vs low ceilings and see which is more important for you.

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC