Re: very small/ compact housing
From: Tony Adrian (nursingdatamsn.com)
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 15:26:31 -0800 (PST)
For folks interested in LittleHouses of all types please consider reviewing the many posts in the Yahoo LittleHouses group.

For instance - it is a common misconception that cathedral ceilings would decrease energy efficiency in a cold climate by trapping heat. We shared that belief before we consulted an energy efficient architect.

Low impact living, energy efficiency, and frugality are the most common themes in the LittleHouses group. There are many free designs available for perusal.

Here are links to our house:

http://tinyurl.com/6vvjw

http://tinyurl.com/dxy6s

Tony

My family of four is about to move into our 1200+- sq.ft. townhouse (plus
full unfinished basement) at Common Pastures in Charlotte, VT. One of the last design changes made was to get rid of a cathedral ceiling living room, to add a
floor and add space on the second floor. I feel this is one of the best
decisions we've made. In a small house, catherdal ceilings seem to be an unnecessary
luxury, and I can just imagine all of heat that would have been trapped up
there in the winter.

Two other things that, in my opinion, make small houses more livable

1) lots of windows

2) vaulted ceilings on second floor.

Space/storage is always an issue is small homes. For us (we are coming from
an even smaller house) it has been a great incentive to reduce our consumption.

Kelly Devine
Common Pastures
aka Champlain Valley Cohousing
Charlotte, Vermont