Re: ceiling heights
From: James Kacki (jimkackimts.net)
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 15:09:37 -0800 (PST)
Jenny, -8' is very standard. Building materials come in 8' lengths economically. It seems that the push for higher ceilings came about in the same way that the push for bigger cars, bigger garages, bigger houses etc. came about; i.e. material suppliers, developers, contractors etc. convincing people that they really need higher ceilings, bigger this, more of that, for a truly fulfilled life. As an architect, my opinion is that if you have the money and want to spend it, go for 9' ceilings or 10' ceilings if it will make you happy. However, my experience has been that 8' ceilings are perfectly fine and that spatial interplay, window/light manipulation, occasional high (even double height) spaces located for maximum effect will give you more 'bang for the buck' than an uninspired design with 9' ceilings. That's just my opinion, others may disagree, -good luck with your home design, & keep dreaming!
James

Jenny Williams wrote:
On a related note, I'd like people's input on ceiling height.  We're
desgining and building our house at Manzanita Village in Prescott, AZ,
and we have been planning 8' ceilings throughout.  Everyone is telling
me that we'll regret it.  With 8' ceilings, though, we will manage a
~6-7' high attic, which we could finish at a later date for a cozy spot.
We have height restrictions for building, so we can't go above that
limit.  If we even change our regular floors to 9' ceilings, that
changes the attic to 5-6', harder to do anything with.  Do you all feel
it's worth the trade off, to have higher ceilings but an unusable attic
space (for anything other than plain storage)?  Our house will be about
2200SF on two floors (not counting said attic).  On the upper level, we
will have a fairly open area for kitchen, eating area, and living room.
We plan on doing ceiling height changes, with some soffits in certain
areas, to break up the 8' ceiling.  Ideas?

I welcome all input.  Thanks!

jenny williams