RE: Re: ceiling heights
From: Prescott Nichols (pnicholsindigoarch.com)
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 10:16:55 -0800 (PST)
James makes a good point about the economy of 8'-high ceilings. Everything
in the residential construction trade fits that by default.

I would hesitate to equate higher ceilings with SUVs and McMansions,
however. A 10-foot ceiling permits transom windows which will bring daylight
deeper into the room than lower windows. Make those transoms operable and
now you can take advantage of the height to "stack ventilate" the high warm
air from the building at night. These qualities increase the livability and
energy efficiency of the home.

Small rooms do fine with 8-foot ceilings, and can even seem distorted with
anything higher, but a typical cohousing living & dining space will benefit
from higher ceilings. That said, if heat loss, not cooling, is your biggest
concern, then the lower ceilings might make more sense for the bigger rooms,
too.

Prescott