RE: Re: ceiling heights + heating
From: Tom Hammer (thammer302yahoo.com)
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 07:20:25 -0800 (PST)
I hope that those reading this list are familiar with the Rocky Mountain
Institute regarding home design, energy use, (and also ceiling heights.)

  There have been two fascinating articles recently, one in Scientific
American, on sustainability and energy use, and the other in Discover, on
heating homes efficiently.  Both were by the leader of the Institute, whose
name escapes me.  Both articles were within the last year and can easily be
found on the Web.

  The author writes about his home in the mountains of CO, where it can get to
20 below, and there is no expensive infrastructure for heating or cooling in
the home.  The author says the home is passive solar and highly insulated, and
he can heat the home in the winter with the energy from a 50 watt light bulb
because the heat gain from the sun minus heat loss is so small.  I am sure that
high/low ceilings and cathedral ceilings are addressed in the design concepts.

  As for 8' lengths being standard and economical, I spent a year renovating a
farmhouse while living in community, and we had no trouble buying 2 x 4 studs
in 8, 10, or 12 foot lengths.  The longer lengths were more expensive, of
course, but only proportionate to their length.

  Tom Hammer
  Concord Village
  http://www.concordvillage.org

Message: 2