Re: Re: Dividing authority between the Board and the Membership of a HOA
From: Dahako (Dahakoaol.com)
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 05:41:24 -0800 (PST)
Hi -

I know this is going to sound weird coming from someone who writes and
enforces regulations governing billions of dollars in grant funds, but I think
who
has authority depends on how magic you think words are.

If the words in your legal documents say that the Board makes decisions,  and
you believe those words mean that you can't have the membership come to
consensus on a decision and simply have the Board observe the forms by
ratifying
group decisions, then you may need to change your documents to better support
your community process.

Not that I'm opposed to having the words and the practice in sync.  I  just
think you might want to consider where is the best place to put your  community
focus and energy.

Jessie Handforth Kome
Eastern Village Cohousing
Silver Spring, Maryland
"Where we now know exactly what common house stove to never, ever  buy."