Re: Dividing authority between the Board and the Membership of a HOA
From: Joani Blank (joaniswansway.com)
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 13:16:10 -0800 (PST)

In both cohousing communities I've lived in, every member household is a member of the board. Our CC and R's state that. In the case of Swan's (and I think Doyle too) the CC and Rs--or is it the bylaws--also state that we make all or decisions by consensus. What is not stated, but is in fact true, is that in our consensus process, every individual adult needs to agree (or stand aside), as we don't assume that two or more adults in one household necessarily hold the same opinion on any particular matter. On another, but related matter, bylaws are not all that easy to change, CC and Rs even harder. So it's usually a good idea to put in there the bare minimum required by law or regulation. House Rules or Community agreements or whatever you want to call them are much easier to work with, modify, etc.

Joani Blank
Swan's Market Cohousing
Oakland, CA