Re: Simplicity
From: pattymara [at] juno.com (pattymarajuno.com)
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 09:59:15 -0800 (PST)
Dear List,
(PattyMara from Tierra Nueva, CenCA coast) Thanks, Sharon, for your tender
response to the question about community supporting voluntary simplicity.  I
especially loved the line about accepting that a mountain probably won't become
a flamingo.

There have been waves of "voluntary simplicity" that we've felt in our forming
days, and after move-in as well, as folks move through their life cycles and as
the group soul of Tierra Nueva shifts and settles.

I've noticed a shadow side (the flamingo) to this attempt to simplify, which I
have experienced from time to time.  That's when someone who has decided to
live car-free has to beg rides and borrow cars and otherwise depend on those of
us with not-yet-simple lifestyles. It cracks me up.  This is of course, one way
community living can support the voluntary simplicity folks, and also an
opportunity for the not-yet-simple to be both in service AND have clear
boundaries.

Perhaps in communities where everyone is committed to a more simple life, there
is a more synergy, I can't say.  Here at Tierra Nueva we have the full range,
from lead-foots to the lightest of walkers on this lovely earth.  And from time
to time, we all seem to ask for help from one another.  I know I sure
appreciate my neighbor's huge sewing/art room when I need a place to spread out
a big project.  And when we go camping I may borrow a neighbor's VW camper
instead of sleeping in our tent on the ground.  Ah, luxury.

coheartedly,
PattyMara
Tierra Nueva, Oceano, CA
http://www.gourleydesign.com/DolphinSmile/INDEX.HTM
feather to fire fire to blood blood to bone bone to marrow marrow to ashes
ashes to snow.
www.ashesandsnow.org

/