Re: Simplicity
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 10:44:29 -0800 (PST)

... does cohousing
promote simplicity, or does it make life more complicated?
Both. Simplicity is to some degree up to the individuals, as it is possible to lead a very un-simple life in cohousing. I have neighbors who mail order new goods almost daily, who have lots of electronic devices, etc. And others whose frugality and simplicity makes me blush. Institutionally, cohousing makes it more feasible to share stuff. I've borrowed lawn mowers, kitchen stuff, camping and travel gear, even clothing. I have a spare old car which I've loaned to others, and there is a loanable pickup truck. We have vegetable gardens, though they are just a part of what we eat, but it's something. And life is more complicated, in the sense of meetings, committees, patient processing of decisions, needing to coordinate things that affect others, time for work parties, even time for socials could be seen as a complication, in the sense that it uses time and energy.
Lynn at RoseWind
Port Townsend WA