Re: determinants of success - not just cohousing
From: Chris ScottHanson (chriscohousingresources.com)
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 10:39:12 -0800 (PST)
Rodney,

My view is the green sustainable community must include, but not be limited to the following:

It must be very pedestrian oriented. People first, cars a distant second. Segregate cars and parking from the middle of the community.

Common facilities that allow for and encourage community interaction. In cohousing it is called the common house. It must allow for sharing meals on some sort of regular basis. Having mail here is a big help. Having a common hearth here, or the only hearth here can also be a big help.

All private kitchens and the "active side" of the private dwelling units on the entry (community) side, toward the pedestrian walkway. This allows for "eyes on the street" (pedestrian street, of course) and "ownership" of that street. Safety and a sense of belonging result.

Ownership, commitment and sense of belonging that comes from participation in as many decisions as make sense. At a minimum this should include the programming and design of the common facilities. This requires careful, effective and respectful management of prospective owners prior to project completion. It also requires the artful management of buy in and commitment.

Chris ScottHanson
Author - The Cohousing Handbook