Re: Advice
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 11:33:07 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 28, 2006, at 12:05 PM, Cher Stuewe Portnoff wrote:

...which has been very much on our minds as cohousing seekers. Would anyone comment on elder-vs-intergenerational cohousing, from personal experience? We're read (and re-read) everything we can find from the "professional" perspective, but are interested in personal experience. Thank you.

I haven't lived in Senior Cohousing but am 63 and live in intergenerational cohousing. I can't imagine living in a one generation community, no matter what the generation. Most of my friends here are younger and I love having the children around.

But sometimes it would be nice to have quiet in the dining room before 8:00 and to keep alcoholic beverages in the fridge. And not to have to wait for the 30 somethings to grow up and the 40 somethings to be less boastful and sure of themselves.

The 60+ people are in fact some of the most active in the community. Even the 70+. The 30s and 40s are very busy with children and full time jobs. It's nice to feel like an expert when someone is toilet training another child and a little hard when another person loses a job. To relive the same things again and again.

But I wonder sometimes if the over 80s would like the talk to move a little more slowly and a little more clearly with less background noise.

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC