Re: RE: Elder/Senior/Proactive Adult Cohousing
From: Cher Stuewe Portnoff (cher710mchsi.com)
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 05:59:48 -0800 (PST)
After reading the recent elder coho book, we thought the Silver Sage development had reached perfection when we understood that it was connected with Wild Sage... a blend of generational focus and nearby intergenerational connection.

We have six adult children/families and many grandchildren. We don't want to live with any of them, but our time with them is cherished. When we are busy with other things, their voices and activities make great backgound music. We can't imagine life without children and 20-30-40-somethings livening things up and continuing to give life meaning, novelty and utility. But a critical mass of same-generation friends has advantages -- you have a common language, a common frame of reference, sense of humor, experience to draw from and build upon (and share war stories about) in relationship. And you can explore and work together on issues that are of little interest to younger friends and neighbors. While we were looking into the concept of senior coho (that is, before we'd gotten to cost), we were very pleased on several levels to think that we could have the best of both worlds. We would never want to live in segregated elder cohousing, but the mix -- if the interactions really happen -- couldn't be more perfect.

Unfortunately for us, Silver Sage itself is a luxury we will never be able to afford. Luckily, we can aspire to live in intergenerational cohousing in some parts of the country :-).

C & G
----- Original Message ----- From: "Shirley Clawson" <shirleyt [at] windward.net>