Re: determinants of success - not just cohousing
From: ken (gebserspeakeasy.net)
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 07:42:09 -0800 (PST)
Hey, Jenny,

Since the kitchen is generally the most expensive room in a house, I can
understand your interest.  I've also found that the kitchen is often a
social center; that is, it's a place where people often hang out.  So
plan that into your kitchen too (if you find that's true for you).

It's been more than fifteen years since I did all that research and
design, so I don't remember specific book titles.  After reading four or
five of them though, I found them to be very repetitive, saying what was
said in the books before them.

I gave some conclusions I found in my previous email, but thought of a
couple other things you might not find in the average book on kitchen
design:  For me, part of the notion of simplicity means designing for
easy and minimal cleaning.  This means no shelves.  Shelves collect
dust.  Insofar as possible, put everything behind a door or in a drawer.
 The fancier the surfaces, the harder they'll be to clean.  Plan to have
at least one appliance garage, a unit for often used small appliances
(blender, coffee maker, etc.).  Those typical stoves with cooking on top
and oven below can't help but have a gap between the sides and the
adjacent counter top on each side.  These two gaps can't help but become
a place for crumbs, dust, and other crud to fall into.  So I opted for a
cooktop.  I like to cook with gas, so this was a gas cooktop.  The oven
for me had to be electric and I wanted it to fit below the cooktop.  It
took me a lot of shopping before I could find a combination of oven and
cooktop which fit together in the same vertical space.

One other thing that most books don't talk about is the fact that I keep
recipes on my computer.  At the time I wanted to design in a place where
the computer would live.  This computer, moreover, would need to be
networked into the other computers in the house.  (Often I'm in the
livingroom when I find a recipe on the web or a friend emails me one.)
I don't want to have to physically move this recipe file, nor do I want
to have to go to the livingroom and print out the recipe.  So I wanted
to run network cable (cat 5) in the walls to the kitchen.  Well, I never
got around to doing this.  Fortunately, now that I have wifi in the
house, I just bring my laptop into the kitchen and read the recipe off
of that.  If you don't have such a laptop and you handle recipes like I
do, then maybe you'll want to plan in a place for a computer.  Even if
you don't, you may want to consider having a place in or near the
kitchen for recipe books, viewing receipts, keeping lists, coupons, and
any other paper associated with being in the kitchen.

Because everyone cooks differently, eats different kinds of food, has
their own way of entertaining, have different kinds of households, it's
difficult to provide general design principles applicable to everyone.
This is the reason why kitchens are so often customized.  One kitchen
isn't suitable for everyone.  I guess I was fortunate to have studied
phenomenology (one of the more prominent of current European
philosophies) for it makes tasks like design much more grounded and less
the product of irrelevant assumptions.  If you have specific questions,
I'd be happy to have a go at them.

hth,
ken