kitchen design
From: heidinys (heidinysaol.com)
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 08:56:39 -0800 (PST)
Dear Jenny et al,

Our kitchen streams with light every morning, and it is glorious. It faces East; even if your kitchen won't, face East, I'd agree with Ken on windowing the kitchen.

We were able to manage to have only lower cabinets, allowing for maximum 'windowage' [windowization?]. We did this thanks to the brilliance of a friend who recommended a pantry. Pantry is essentially a windowless [in our case] closet with floor to ceiling shelves. The pantry is on interior side of kitchen, allowing exterior to have windows. We love the pantry, as does everyone who peeks in. I recommend it. Ours holds everything, almost. In pantry: un-refrigerated foodstuffs, platters, some pots, most small appliances [eg, waffle iron] Stuff we use daily is stored either in a wonderful olde Hoosier or in Kitchen cabinets all of them made up of wide drawers, as rec'd by SV.

BTW, while it is a co-ho norm to have kitchen face public area, in our earlier home [I married, and built another house within our CoHousing community] in our initial home, I had my desk face out toward public area. I loved to sit at desk and see the kids run. And I don't much like desk work, so it was an inducement to my spending time at desk. I hope I don't stir up a nest o' bees with this unorthodoxy!

Anything else you want to throw 'round, let me know,
all best,
Ruth J. Hirsch

Steve Faber wrote:
I think in an urban cohousing community the kitchens on the "active
side"  might mean something different if you are trying to be a
little
village in a bigger village of a neighborhood.  One of the  issues we
had with our Michigan, medium density design, was the  compromise of
kitchen orientation and getting light into the units.  If your kitchen
is on the south side of your home.  Typically, much  of your wall
space
is taken up by cabinets and you can't put in the  larger windows to
maximize passive solar.

Steve