Re: Are meals an optional...work?
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 10:46:06 -0800 (PST)
RoseWind has fewer common meals than Songaia or Swan. Thursdays are potluck, Fridays are sometimes TGIF snack-potlucks, and Mondays are cook-team meals. We post a sign up for cooks, with a general sense that you take a turn more or less in rotation, ie when most of the others who cook have done it, it's your turn again. But very loose. Meals are sourced by 1-4 people, most often two. About two-thirds of our households participate in cooking, with about half of our households periodically taking lead responsibility for a meal. Some others are more likely to pitch in, as by making the salad or the dessert, or helping set up the dining room and serving areas. Clean up is general pitch in. Usually the cooks are the buck stoppers for seeing that all gets done, like final cleaning of the sink strainers, taking out the compost, turning off the dishwasher. It usually works well, without any one person or two people having to work a lot longer to get it all done. It helps that we have a swift and easy dishwasher (commercial countertop) that people enjoy using. There is no specific accounting of where and how one volunteers. Mostly it's the "passion principle" enunciated by Songaia's post.
Lynn at RoseWind Cohousing, Port Townsend WA