Re: Nuclear family, cohousing, NEL
From: Paula Gilmour (paulabellcoho.com)
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 12:48:50 -0800 (PST)
I mostly focused on the parts on cohousing.  Someday when I have more time I
will go back and read the book from cover to cover.  So, I can't explain the
Scanzoni's step in my own words.  Here are a few sentences from the book
preface.  I realize this is extremely vague.  Sorry.

"The idea of cohousing was conceived, born, and matured in Scandinavia.
Scandinavia is also the source of a proposed innovation on the cohousing
model called the New Everyday Life (NEL). Advocates of NEL envision it as a
series of cohousing communities that pay particular attention to the
interests of women, men, and children alike.  They describe the New Everyday
Life as "Nordic Feminist Vision."  It is one example of what Anthony Giddens
calls "utopian realism."  This book explore whether or not that vision of
family and community might somehow fit with the information age."