Re: Food Values
From: ken (gebserspeakeasy.net)
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 15:31:54 -0800 (PST)

Craig Ragland wrote:
> This conversation on food labor is poignant for me as I prepare for
> facilitating a sharing circle here at Songaia this evening on our values
> around food. I'll be quoting from the thread, as well from Dave Wann's book
> Reinventing Community; Stories from the walkways of cohousing - many of you
> are contributors... thanks
>
> Some of the values we're addressing are:

> - hidden costs, e.g. gas (buyers currently pay for their own gas)

This is the one item I might have an issue with, but maybe not.  Does it
seem that everyone is happy with this arrangement?  Or is shopping
rotated equitably enough so that it's really a shared expense (but
without the hassle of bookkeeping)?  If a small number of people are
continually doing the shopping, toss them a few bucks for gas, even if
they don't ask for it.

> This is the first time since move-in (2000), that anyone living at
> Songaia has chosen not to participate. The couple's concerns are twofold;
> (1) the level of noise/activity (mostly kid energy) in the common house
> during our meals

A lot of folks with kids suggest to them an "inside voice" when indoors.
 Myself, kid noise is music to my ears, tells me the world is still alive.

> and the poor support for their diet preferences... they
> prefer meat and potatoes, while our meals have emphasized poultry/fish,
> rather beef/pork and also support vegetarians.

My food preference is definitely with your majority, but I've found that
people want to eat what they want to eat and even the best
environmental, economic, health and/or other very good reasons won't
persuade.  And, what, we're talking about just a couple meals a week,
right?

> Another recent development is
> that two families (both with kids) who do not live here now join us for some
> of our common meals.

It's nice to host new faces.  And this is a good way to meet new people.
 So I wouldn't think this would be worth getting the boxing gloves out
for.  If it's the same guests every week for six months though, I'd
wonder if they never thought to bring some carrot cake or a casserole.

If these are the big issues, you've got a pretty good community.

Regards,
ken

--
"This world ain't big enough for the both of us,"
said the big noema to the little noema.