Re: Re: Public Use of the Common House
From: ken (gebserspeakeasy.net)
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 17:24:42 -0800 (PST)
Wow.  That's all really great.  Sounds like a great place to live.  I
hope, though, that you've discussed all this with a lawyer.  I ran a
computer club some years ago, talked to a lawyer about setting up a
501c3, and was surprised at all the liability I was exposing myself to
by not already having one.  "If somebody slips on the floor," he said,
"even though you don't own the building, you could be found liable--
personally."  Things get worse if you serve alcohol of course.

The important thing is not really the 501c3, but to have some kind of
corporation to contain the liability.  A charitable organization can
have tax advantages though... if there's sufficient money to be taxed.
Otherwise a regular for-profit corporation might suit your situation
just as well and without the extra hoops you have to jump through
getting non-profit status.

Not being a lawyer, I can't give much more than a few tips.  (There's
also that nuisance about practicing law without a license.  :)

ken