Re: Help!
From: pattymara [at] juno.com (pattymarajuno.com)
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 10:19:29 -0800 (PST)
Dear Diana,
Greetings!  In response to your questions about service I'll give you an
overview of how we at Tierra Nueva walk our talk.  On a community level, we
have been active community environmental warriors.  As you know, that story is
told in Dave Wann's new compendium of stories from the pathways of cohousing.
We spent a whole year meeting with other neighborhoods surrounding our local
farm field, documented the illnesses caused by pesticide drift, worked within
the system to change the farm to a pesticide-free community supported
agriculture farm.  Every friday now, we walk through the fields, pick up our
share baskets and enjoy unbelieveably delicious fruit and vegies and flowers.

We also have a food drive collection every holiday season, nine years now,
which we deliver to our local harvest basket/food bank.  We host political
gatherings and debates in our Common House, lead peace marches in the
surrounding towns and serve on several advisory boards for the local
government.

Individually, we have a homeschooling family who deliver Meals on Wheels once a
week to 7 or 8 homebound seniors in town, host foreign exchange students, work
with local chapters of NOW, CodePink, Green Party, Empty Bowls (Food Bank),
Earth Day coalitions, and probably many more I can't remember.

coheartedly,
Patty Mara Gourley
Tierra Nueva Cohousing, Oceano, CA

http://www.gourleydesign.com/DolphinSmile/INDEX.HTM
feather to fire fire to blood blood to bone bone to marrow marrow to ashes
ashes to snow.
www.ashesandsnow.org

-- Communities Magazine <christian_d1 [at] bellsouth.net> wrote:
Dear Readers of Cohousig_L:

        Can you please recommend to me?and send an email address?of
specific cohousing communities you know about which either do service
for others as a community?

        Or contact info about  _invididuals_ in a community who do service
for others?

        I ask because we've received very few responses to my Call for
Articles for the summer issue of Communities magazine on Good Works
in community.
         I now need to write to specific individuals in specific communities
to see if I can induce more folks to write articles.

        Here's what it says in the Call for Articles:

This is a Call for Articles for our Summer 2006 issue, ?Good Works:
Communities in Service to Others,? out in June.

             Has your community gone out of its way to be of service
in some way; for example, benefiting the environment, or helping
people in need? Or have members of your community individually
supported a service effort or created their own service project? Some
communities (or individual community members) have supported relief
efforts for tsunami victims or Katrina victims, set up soup kitchens
for the homeless, or offer help to Central American political
refugees. If you or your community has a story like this to tell,
we?d like to share it with our readers.

       The deadline for finished articles is March 27,  2006.

        Thank you very much for any help you can send my way. I appreciate it!

        Diana Leafe Christian,
        Editor, Communities
http://www.cohousing.org/cohousing-L/

  • re: HELP!, (continued)
    • re: HELP! Bill Germino, February 10 1998
    • Help! ann zabaldo, August 20 1999
    • Help! Communities Magazine, March 7 2006
    • Re: Help! pattymara [at] juno.com, March 8 2006