RE: Food Values
From: Tree Bressen (treeic.org)
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 20:20:26 -0800 (PST)
Hi,

Rob S. wrote:
It's a bit unusual to expect every person in a cohousing community to
participate in a community meals system, in fact, as far as I know, its
unheard of. Perhaps you should rethink the expectation.

Doesn't Doyle St. in Emeryville, CA (where Katie M. & Chuck D. used to live) have a requirement that everyone cooks? My impression is that if a group wants to have that expectation they had better put it in place early in their development--by the time they have 3/4 of the future members coming to meetings it's too late to get everyone to agree to it.

In my (non-cohousing) community (http://www.icetree.com/walnut) everyone is required to cook and it's *wonderful!* Our dinners, which happen 5 nights a week M-F, are one of the best things about living here. Because we cook in teams, new members who sometimes believe they can't cook get plenty of support. Even after 5+ years it continues to amaze me that i only have to cook once a week and then 4 nights a week i can show up at 6:15pm and there is food on the table.

I also notice that when i have been feeling a bit frustrated toward one of my housemates, i feel grateful toward them for providing dinner and that feeling overflows into my general attitude toward the person, thus smoothing community relations.

Cheers,

--Tree

Tree Bressen
1680 Walnut St.