Re: Food Values
From: Craig Ragland (craigraglandgmail.com)
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 21:24:53 -0800 (PST)
As I reflect on Songaia's history, it strikes me how my relationship with
shared meals has shifted. During our pre-cohousing days, the 90's, we were
9-23 people sharing two houses, a trailer, and a yurt - with, at most, a few
kids but often just 1. Now we are 38 people who live in 15 units; families
of 1-5 people, including 12 kids.

Throughout the 90's, we lived and shared spaces with a cohousing vision
(realized in 2000). Like Tree's community today, we shared two kitchens,
though one of our kitchens was hardly usable. Songaia now has 15 private
kitchens, a large common house kitchen, and an outdoor kitchen.

Back in the 90's, I experienced cooking an individual (non-common) meal at
Songaia as being more chaotic and clumsy than cooking a shared meal. For
individual meals, others would often want to use the same kitchen, pots,
oven, stove, etc. to prepare other meals simultaneously.

Today, I experience cooking in our common house kitchen as more chaotic and
clumsy than using our private kitchen. The kitchen which Karly and I share,
in our home, is quiet, stable, and controlled. I can reach just about
everything in two steps and I hardly ever have to look for things. I usually
just rely on staples from our common pantry when cooking for the two of us.

In contrast, cooking in the common house is an adventure and requires more
commitment at every step. Our common house kitchen is often exuberant and
fun as people come through; home from school, work, meetings, etc. Its
large, with giant pots and pans - and cooking for 38 requires real menu
planning and attention.

I love sharing food and its clear that almost everyone else at Songaia does
as well. I do, however, deeply appreciate the calm, serene cooking
experience made possible by our private space. I also appreciate the
desire/need for people to avoid the stress that often comes from high energy
spaces. Part of what I find satisfying about the cohousing model is having
both options.