RE: Food Values
From: Bonnie Fergusson (fergyb2yahoo.com)
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 13:42:54 -0800 (PST)
Yes,  I totally agree with this comment.  People
sometimes forget that we are all likely to experience
the need for these things somewhere along the way.

"If cooking and communal eating are to be a large part
of the community,
I would recommend two things very strongly: 1) make
sure the communal dining room has excellent acoustics,
and 2) make sure it is not so
cramped that it makes it difficult for handicapped
people to navigate."

We were fortunate here at Swan's to have a powerful
disability rights advocate who uses a wheelchair as
part of the original group who made sure that access
issues were dealt with adequately from the get go and
while our acoustics are not perfect they are much
better than other Cohousing Common Houses I have
visited.  This is particularly important since so many
of us baby boomers blasted our hearing on rock
concerts earlier that we can anticipate a lot of
hearing loss issues in coming years.

                     Bonnie Fergusson
                     Swan's Market Cohousing
                     Oakland, CA