Re: Not Enough Privacy in Cohousing?
From: Martin Sheehy (martinsheehyyahoo.com)
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 18:03:11 -0800 (PST)
" Sexuality " in societies like ours in Western Europe & North America was
always taboo as a topic ..of interest...of conversation...until very recently.
OUT wasn't IN 10-15 yrs. ago. BUT, Peoria, IL ain't Hollywood or even
Greenwitch Village, and the subject still has a ' naughty ' air about it. So,
genes & chromosomes will out.
  Worse still, an uneasy feeling creeps over us as humans as we age when
presented with the relatively exotic ( even those who have seen the movie '
Bareback Mounting ' or whatever it is called, still will, no matter what they
thought of the movie---and that to a great extent will depend on their sensual
leanings---find it ' different ' once they return home from the theatre.)

  During Phase I of the CoHousing process not all is yet revealed, I imagine,
and it may come as a somewhat rude awakening to some that Neighbor Tom in
Cottage # 5 is gay, or that Neighbor Larry in Cottage # 69 likes sheep ( most
especially if the CoHousing Community indulges itself in husbandry :-.)  It may
equally be unsetteling to Tom & Larry to learn that their Neighbors are
rivitted by these alien--to The Neighbors--exotic and cutting-edge pursuits.

  Oh yes, my cherabim, sexuality and romantic entanglements still fascinate
well into senior ages.

  ----Martin.

Martin Sheehy <martinsheehy [at] yahoo.com> wrote:
  Someone needs to say it, so I will:

" I wonder if he's gay or bisexual?. ".......some, or many, residents might
whisper.

My own sense from informal online surveys is that there are a lot of aging gay
guys OUT there who simply cannot afford the affluent ' communities ' in coastal
FL or Sante Fe, NM, but who feel that CoHousing competitively priced units,
while within their fiscal reach, may be replete with homophobes, or even
curious persons who find the gay guy ' exotic '. They've had quite enough of
that, thank you, during their drone existence in the workforce, they sure as
heck do not need or want it in the milieu chosen for their retirement.

Marty S.

"Jeanne Goodman, JP Cohousing" wrote:
I would like to say that this is a VERY interesting post and something that
might be worth pursuing further if I might recommend it as a topic for the
magazine?

This post will definitely make me think twice before I dare to ask someone
if their guest was a date. I think it's hard to know when that kind of thing
steps over the line of asking as friends who share information about what's
going on in their lives versus sounding like a gossip.

Are there other taboo topics?

Jeanne Goodman
finally in Jamaica Plain Cohousing