Re: workshare -age/household
From: patjavcc (patjavccaol.com)
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 04:54:23 -0800 (PST)
Hi!

At Jamaica Plain Cohousing (Boston) we require 4 hours per month per adult.  We
define this as age 16 or older.  We expect the parents of younger kids to
decide what work the kids should do.  What ends up happening is that the kids
pretty much just pick up after themselves (cleaning the kids room for example.)
 The teens don't do anything (one exception) on a regular basis. But we've been
very successful in catching a teen as they walk by and saying, 'can you lend a
hand' and they always do.  (One time we got one of our teens and his 3
'buddies' to help plant some very heavy trees.  The friends were like, "gee,
thanks for inviting us over Bill".  Cute.)

So, we don't base it on household, we base it on adult.  We're a new community
(moved in last June) and we're working out the problems.  One problem is that
some of us work 10-15 hours a month and others don't work at all.  But we are
addressing this.

Good luck!

Patti Lautner
JPCohousing Boston