Re: Help Selling Units
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 06:05:25 -0800 (PST)
Here's some of the things we've tried:
    We have open houses on site each  Sunday
Our web-site is current and an effective  tool
    We advertise in the local paper for those
selling  homes themselves
    We have had countless tables at local events
    We have had several articles written about our
project in local papers

The one thing you didn't mention is flyers -- flyers on bulletin boards at food coops, Unitarian Churches -- any progressively minded organization in the area, and beyond. I don't think there is a study on this but I would guess that next to a personal relationship with someone else in cohousing, flyers are the number two initial contact.

Post on Cohousing-L often -- describe your project. There are many people lurking on this list making decisions -- "yes or no" and "where." Not everyone is place bound by jobs or family. Something like 1/3 of American move every year. You only need a few of those.

Consider your unit mix. Do you have smaller units to attract singles (the largest growing segment of the population)? Are there features for children -- people will move to make having children easier. Playrooms, tot lots, etc. Kids love kids. Take those kids and kid pictures to those tables at local events.

I missed your original post so I didn't get your location. But try to capitalize on it.

Sharon
---
Sharon Villines
Building Community: A Guide to Creating New Neighborhoods
http://www.buildingcommunity.info