Re: selling units/values
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 15:25:41 -0800 (PST)

On Mar 20, 2006, at 3:52 PM, Fleck wrote:

What we skipped in the process of building was deeper discussion around
values and expectations. This is coming back to bite us big-time now.

If I had it to do over again, I would want these to be done all at the same time but it is hard to balance. You have to be willing to bite some ahrd bullets from the start - like minimum participation expectations PER WEEK, The people who have moved in as second generation have on the most part been much more realistic about time and work than many of those who moved in first.

The pull of getting built means you have to sell units and people don't really listen to what it will mean to live in cohousing.

My biggest frustration is that some people have no idea what it means to put the community first in either time or interest. If you move into a community, it will take time. It has to be a priority at some level. And shared values and understanding take many hours to build.

The classic is one person who does absolutely zip in terms of dependable work who loves the idea of living here because she can travel the world (which she loves to do) and return to find her lovely community!

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC