Re: Elder Care In Community
From: Jan (jansunward.org)
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 09:04:10 -0800 (PST)
Caren wrote:

> But some of us are talking about buying a
> unit here with combined financial resources and
> finding a couple to live rent free in exchange for
> elder care.

Since I do nursing, I looked at this as a sort of job opportunity.  Say rent
is $1200/mo.  Then consider that I might do the care for less than my pay at
the hospital, since it would not all be skilled nursing, maybe for $15/h
(which is what some pay their cleaning people around here).  That is 80
h/mo.  The person(s) who lived rent free could therefore provide 80 hours of
care or community work per month in this situation.

A nursing job is one that can easily be switched to part time.  Furthermore,
the nurse can retain benefits through the hospital, although he/she will
have to pay all or part of the cost.  Perhaps this would have to be figured
into the pay equation, but the situation is still workable.

Anyway, nurses who already live in cohousing should take a look at this.

Jan