Re: RE: Tragedy of the commons & cohousing
From: dahako (dahakoaol.com)
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 04:06:43 -0800 (PST)

Hi -

The tragedy of the commons and related social sharing disorders primarily occur when the people owning and sharing a resource aren't either continually reminded of their long-term interests or forced by a strong hierarchical control structure to behave themselves. (For a thought provoking discussion of various aspects of this from a whole society environmental perspective, see the book Collapse, by Jared Diamond.)

So, in cohousing, we have a group of people who self-select for good citizenship, are constantly meeting and eating with the other users/owners of the shared resource, endlessly discussing shared interests, and living in close physical proximity to the shared resources. I think it's a reasonable set up for mostly avoiding the kind of short run thinking typical of the tragedy of the commons.

Jessie Handforth Kome
Eastern Village Cohousing
Silver Spring, MD
"Where my kids get to walk other people's dogs, so we don't have to own one."