Re: To build fences or not to
From: Mary English (Mary.Englishhsc.utah.edu)
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 20:08:39 -0800 (PST)
To build fences or not to

In Wasatch Commons the community did not want fences for most of the
community.  People started coping with this by putting high berms of
dirt arround their back yards to get some private space and to try to
keep kids from cutting thru their yards right next to houses. (Note to
dedicated gardeners.......you cannot have a lovely garden if all the
neighbors kids and dogs run loose on open space.)

Our property extends from one street on the east side of it, to the
other street on the west side.  There is a curving path thru  from one
side to the other, and now we have strangers using the short cut thru
the property, with the walk only a few feet from the windows.  Nieghbor
kids have also raced thru at times on their bikes.   One family moved
out because of a lack of feeling of safety with strangers a few feet
from their bedroom window at night.   (Note to anyone in the planning
stages.  Casement windows cannot be open for ventilation and be secure.
The tinyest crack can allow the window to be opened from the outside)